Young Bird Observatory Volunteers programme
Each year the BTO provide a number of grants of up to £250, to support young people looking to visit one of the accredited British and Irish Bird Observatories.
The grant is open to applicants aged 24 and under who are currently in full-time education or unemployed, who are able to get fully involved in fieldwork and general observatory activities.
To apply you will need to provide:
- A written application consisting of:
- Your name, occupation and age at time of volunteering
- An outline of the itinerary
- An outline of anticipated costs (travel and accommodation only)
- An idea of the skills you hope to develop whilst at the Observatory
- An explanation of how you think this experience will impact your career or studies
- A reference from one of the following:
- A BTO member or volunteer, or ringing trainer
- Previous or current teacher
- Previous or current employer
- If you are under 18, the written consent of a parent or guardian will be required -
- If you are happy to do so, please fill out our Equality Monitoring Form.
Further details can be obtained by emailing youth [at] bto.org.
You will need to have reserved a place at an Observatory (subject to the approval of the grant) for a visit of at least 4 nights during the current year. Confirmation will be needed that the Observatory can host you as a volunteer.
Applications are considered by a committee comprising a member of the Ringing Committee, a representative from the Bird Observatories Council, two members of staff appointed by the BTO Director and an independent monitor. Funding for these grants is provided by a generous donation, matched by BTO funds.
If you would like to support young birders please email us at fundraising [at] bto.org.
Our second round of applications for 2022 will close 11.59pm on the 14th of August. You can still apply if you will have completed your time at the Bird Observatory, as we can reimburse you for costs already spent. To apply, fill in and submit the application form below. If you would need financial support to pay for your stay before the deadline has passed, please let us know in your application as we may be able to help.
BTO Data Reports
Our reports provide rigorous scientific information to inform Environmental Impact Assessments in the UK.