BTO approach to science
BTO is a world-leading institution whose reputation rests on the quality of its data and the rigour of analysis. A key strength of BTO is in the way it combines and integrates the efforts of its volunteers and scientists to provide results and information that has real impact.
As an organisation, we are:
- Evidence-led: using our science, data and expertise to make a positive difference for birds and for people.
- Inclusive: supporting, valuing and having respect for our staff and those who work with us.
- Collaborative: working in partnership with individuals and organisations to achieve our collective goals.
- Empowering: using our work to create opportunities through which individuals and communities can engage with science and the natural world, for the benefit of all.
Our commitment to FAIR data
We work hard to ensure the high quality of BTO data, and we are committed to sharing data to maximise research potential and impact.
As part of this, we are committed to working towards our data being FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable).
How we do this is detailed in the following documents on our website:
- BTO Policy on Data and Information
- Quality of BTO data
- BTO Statement of Data Verification and Validation Procedures
Our scientific standard
We expect our scientists to uphold the highest scientific standards and ensure their work is of high quality, by following:
Leaving a legacy: how you can support BTO in your Will
BTO’s Sam Rider talks about her journey into legacy work with BTO, and about the power of leaving the organisation a gift in your Will.
BTO Acoustic Pipeline
An accurate species identification and data management tool for acoustic monitoring in conservation, management and site assessment.